Tuesday, February 3, 2009

4 Beers




Keoki Sunset Amber Ale--At $10.40/6-pack, this Kauai brewed beer is a flat out ripoff. This tasted like one of my early batches of homebrew, before I started using secondary fermentation. Amber Ale is a low-end pale ale. There were several off-flavors that popped up...an amateurish brew. I haven't been impressed with any Keoki product. D+, PQ=8.5

Pranqster Belgian Style Golden Ale--Picked up a 4-pack at Whole Foods. At $8.99, this was a steal. Made in California, so it's "Belgian Style" rather than full up Belgian. North Coast Brewing did a great job at convincing me this was real Belgian Beer. This is an "A" quality beer, PQ=21.3

Goliath (Gayusse) Triple--Tried 2 of these. This one is highly carbonated. When I opened the first one, it spewed all over the counter, leaving me with about half a beer to sample. I was prepared for the 2nd one and had the glass ready for the pour. At 9% abv, it has quite the kick. Naturally, there's a noticeable alcohol taste, but not overpowering. It had a robust flavor, but no overpowering fruitiness. A-, no price, so no PQ.

Colomba--Colomba beer originates from the ever-famous beer region of Corsica--the home of Napoleon. It's an odd tasting, sort of unique beer that bills itself as a white ale. I found it a bit peppery, and highly carbonated. When cold, it tasted like Perrier with a pinch of pepper. As it warmed up, it was a bit more citrusy. I don't have the price on this, so no PQ. Grade=C

No comments: