Saturday, February 21, 2009

Recent Beers

La Fin du Monde: When I opened up the 750ml bottle of La Fin du Monde, I knew I was in over my head. At 9% alcohol and 25.4 ozs, I was opening up the equivalent of 4 beers at one time....all on a Wednesday night. La Fin is a very good Belgian Tripel made in French Canada. I really enjoyed the first few sips, but shortly afterwards the taste didn't matter...that's clearly a function of my low alcohol tolerance. At $7.99, this isn't a cheap one. I need to find it in 12oz bottles, because I'm not always down for so much alcohol in such a short period of time. Thursday morning I had a headache. Grade=B+, PQ=10.5

Sam Smith's Organic Ale: Much better than the gluten free swill I had earlier in the week. This is real beer, just hippy friendly...a different sort of hippy, a gluten-tolerant hippy. This wasn't the best Sam Smith product I've had...his oatmeal stout is really good. This one lacked the hoppy, earthy goodness I expect in an English Ale. Grade=B, PQ=10.7

Sierra Nevada Porter: I'm a big fan of all things Sierra Nevada. This was the first time I've seen the Porter in a store. It's been awhile since I've had a Porter. Thursday night it felt pretty cold out, so I thought this would be a great beer to try. Smooth, earthy, all around good Porter. Grade=A, PQ=32

Blue Moon Winter: Saw this the same night I bought the SN Porter...cold night, so a Belgian-style winter beer sounded good. I picked this over the Celebrator, just because I hadn't tried it yet. It's the end of the winter season, so I probably wouldn't get another shot at this one this year...had a low alcohol content for the style (5.6%)...it was a little sweet, but the sugar wasn't overpowering...refreshing, smooth. I liked it....hard to believe it's made by Coors. Grade=A-, PQ=29.6

No comments: