Thursday, July 3, 2008

4th of july 5k

ran the 4th of july 5k this morning.  run started at 0630...a rare morning where the humidity wasn't bad.  3 weeks ago ran the father's day 5k in 21:05...good enough for 5th overall...was hoping to improve upon that time.  started off today feeling good, holding in the top 10 through the first mile...started to pass a few guys that went out too hard during the 2nd mile.  by that point, the sun was coming up and the temperature was rising.  mile 2 was about 30 seconds slower for me than the first.  as i finished mile 2, my boss passed me...i couldn't have that, so i stayed on his heels for the next 1/2 mile.  looked down at my HRM, and saw that I was at my max HR, so backed off to catch my breath...got a 2nd wind, and tried to close the gap...couldn't do it, as he finished 10 seconds ahead of me.  the clock showed 20:30, but my watch gave me 20:53...still better than the last race.  unofficially, was probably the 5th place finish...my boss claimed he was in 3rd or 4th.  i had an average HR of 171bpm...5ks hurt.

No comments: