Tuesday, July 3, 2007

More Than Meets the Eye


It's only been 1 day since the release of Transformers and I'm getting antsy. I need to see this movie. The anticipation is too great to bear. Reading this Slate article, despite its nostalgic preference for the original, makes me want to see it all the more...I don't care that the favorite cartoon of my youth was all one clever marketing ploy. It was a damn good story, with kickass robots kicking the shit out of each other. It didn't matter that it was silly that a flying robot with weapons would transform into a fighter jet with guns...seemed redundant at the time, but it was still badass. It didn't matter that Megatron (for my less-educated readers, he's the leader of the bad guys) was a robot with guns that defied the laws of physics by transforming into a handgun small enough to be held in the palm of the hand of a robot who was smaller than him...still, it was badass. Of all the 80s cartoons that were just half hour long advertisements for toys (He-Man, MASK, GI Joe), this was clearly the best. The movie may not live up to the expectation (much like Star Wars Episode I)...then I can write a condescending post like the d-bag from Slate.

No comments: