Monday, February 1, 2010

cyborgs and androids on the metro

Snow on a Saturday is good for nothing, other than a full afternoon of sledding.

There was not enough to keep even the non-essentials home on Monday, but just enough to make the bike path slick, forcing me onto the metro.

On the positive end, I got to read more of my book, Descent into Chaos, which I've now checked out from the library for a second time.  My only extended reading time is on the metro.  Hopefully I'll finish today.

Reading was interrupted as I was waiting for an extraordinarily long time to transfer at the Pentagon station.  A guy next to me appeared to be on his cell phone.  Normally, I can ignore the conversations and the temptation to eavesdrop.  But, I heard something about cyborgs that made me want to listen.  In a low, conspiratorial voice, he was going on and on about the cyborgs and androids.  He talked in much detail about the cyborgs and never slowed down, as if he was an expert on the subject. I couldn't make him out word for word due to his low volume and all the other random noises which fill an underground metro station, but I also heard him talk about androids.  That really got my attention, as I was convinced he was on the phone talking to George Noory of Coast to Coast AM about a cyborg/android conspiracy.  He said something about water supply, and I knew this was full blown conspiracy talk. 

After 10 minutes of waiting, my train finally comes.  The dude gets into the same car, and stands right next to me.  At this point, I get a better look.  He's holding a hand to his ear like he's on the phone.  He's still going on, and it appears that some of this conversation is looping.  I'm beginning to think this is more of an external monologue, as he's making no effort to end the conversation before the train leaves (no cell service underground once the train leaves the station).  Sure enough, he keeps up the talking.  He mentions dinosaurs, the water supply and Mars.  I could only make out one full statement , "the androids in the camouflage uniforms are allowed 9-10,000 dependents."

I was a little frustrated that I couldn't bike in this morning, but at least the metro ride was entertaining today.  I have no idea what this guy was talking about, but it sure was interesting.  Too bad he wasn't just a tad bit louder.  I wish I had the balls to ask him a question.

No comments: