Wednesday, November 5, 2008

the ultimate cup



Sonya's dad recently sent us a Technivorm Moccamaster coffee maker. According to all the reviews I've read, this European coffee maker can produce the "ultimate cup" of drip coffee. When I got back home Sunday, I set out on a quest to find a conical burr grinder, which all the literature says is key to producing the ultimate cup. This was a bit of a challenge here on the island, and I had to visit several stores until we finally broke down and visited the yuppie mecca of William's and Sonoma. There were 2 models available, and the prices varied by $100. I asked the lady working the coffee section for some advice, expecting her to be a W&S certified coffee snob. She knew little, and suggested that I get the $99 Breville model, as it's cheaper and they're both conical burr grinders. Why would I need 40 settings that the fancy Italian model offered?

We also received a bag of Kenya AA Gatchatha Estate from Willoughby's Coffee. Coffee Review gave it 93 points back in August. I guess that means it's good. So, ground it up and had an afternoon cup.

I'm not sure if it's all the literature, reviews and the general coffee snobbish aura of this machine and bag of beans, but I must say this was the best cup of coffee I've ever had.

No comments: