Saturday, April 12, 2008

Saturday Ride

Did my last North Shore ride before I leave town next week. Since I was only planning on 48 miles, decided to ride hard from the beginning. Flew up Kole Kole, and nearly puked at the top. Even hauled ass down Snake Road. I think I finally found the secret to a decent descent, since I changed cassettes from a 12-27 to a 11-23...that extra gear really helped on the down hill. At the bottom of the hill, a few of us got pulled over by a cop...that was a first for me. Rather than writing a ticket, he gave us some tips for safe riding. I got the gist of his message, which was basically "protect yourself from these crazy hawaiian redneck drivers", but really wish he could give the "drive safe and respect bike" message to a few cars, by citing them for wreckless driving. Anyhow, at the bottom of the hill, took off pulling another rider at a steady 27-28 mph for the next several miles. After the waterbreak, I got a flat...let everyone else go, hoping I'd catch someone on pineapple hill. This gave me an extra bit of motivation and made me work harder. Eventually I caught a rider near the top of the hill. I was spent, and I had to limp back to the car.

This song sums up the day...Jon should've fixed my flat. That's all I have to say about that.

4 comments:

Louis Winthorpe III said...

Captain Crunch as Forest Gump?

Jon said...

to that certain someone who thought he'd be cool to leave us behind by taking a "flat"... well you don't know much about tactics.

I guess you find out who your friends are.

that's all I have to say about that.

Strap said...

forest gump? captain crunch?

Louis Winthorpe III said...

"That's all I have to say about that" is what Gump says at the end of his speech at the protest rally.

You are "Captain Crunch" because of the enormous pride you take in your crunchy/yuppie ways (prius, outdoor gear, Apple computers, etc.).