Thursday, December 31, 2009

Beers of the Year

It's the end of the year, and time for Top 10 lists. Last year I was more scientific using the PQ scale to rate the beers. This year I've used the PQ less frequently. I've also been buying some more expensive beers, and feel that rating the beers independent of price would be appropriate.

1) Troeg's Mad Elf--holiday ale. It will be a long wait for the 2010 holiday season. I wish I stocked up on this while I could find it in stores.
2) Sierra Nevada Harvest--hoppy, fresh tasting...a gourmet version of their regular pale ale.
3) Ommegang Abbey Ale--first sampled on draft at Tacchino Ciclocross (which I'd rate as #1 race of the year if I was rating races)
4) Dogfish Head Punkin Ale--great seasonal offering from one of my new favorite brewers. Just a hint of pumpkin taste.
5) Anchor Porter--I love a good porter, and this is a porter's porter.
6) Blue and Gray Minor Dementia--opened up a growler of this for Christmas, and plan on opening another tonight. This is some potent stuff with a great complex taste that's hard to describe...one glass of this nearly knocked me out. Blue and Gray's best beer by far...too bad it's a limited edition.
7) Monks Blood--sampled this the other night on draft. A Belgian-style Christmas ale from 21st Amendment brewery. Was a perfect thing to drink on that 25 degree night before a long cold walk to the subway.
8) Founders Breakfast Stout--A meal in a glass...coffee, maple syrup, pancakes, chocolate.
9) Ommegang Three Philosophers--A great quadrupel from Ommegang.
10) Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA--a high gravity IPA...great taste, hops aren't over the top, plus it's much more affordable than their 120 minute

No comments: