Sunday, February 3, 2008

Milkis


My favorite thing about Korea is that you never run out of new, interesting, often f'd up food products to try. Yesterday, we were in the Korean grocery store, so I immediately set out for the beverage cooler to see what kind of craziness I could find. This store had a limited inventory, and didn't have the most basic Korean beverages (OB, Soju, Let's Be, Grape Sac, etc). I did find a drink I'd never tried before, Milkis. Apparently this was a popular drink in Korea back in the early 90s. They've since revamped it, giving it "New feeling of soda beverage." Milkis is an interesting name, as I learned from reading the ingredients, it's due to the milk in the product. Since I've never drank soda-milk, I decided to pour just to see what it looks like. Just so happens that I have a collection of Hite glasses, appropriately sized for Milkis tasting. Basically it looks like cloudy orange juice...there's some fizz there from the "feeling of soda beverage", but it's hard to tell in the picture, due to all the milk.

Here's my taste test:


Jack really liked it:



This is what happens when you mix soda with milk:

7 comments:

Louis Winthorpe III said...

That doesn't sound like it should taste good.

Anyway, a friend of mine occassionally drinks a glass of milk with a shot of bourbon mixed in. I thought it sounded disgusting, but he said it actually tastes good. I've never had the nerve to try it...

Strap said...

i remember you used to drink all those white russians....i can't stand the thought of mixing milk with alcohol.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me there are those funny little Korean drinks -- in tiny shot-like plastic containers -- lotto or something like that. Anyway those things had milk in them, I think, but they were really good.

Louis Winthorpe III said...

I forgot all about that. I haven't drank a white russian in years. I remember thinking they tasted like chocolate milk.

I did see that there is a Bluegrass Brewing Company. I bought a six-pack of their nut brown ale and gave it to the folks who were hosting a Super Bowl Party. He said it tasted quite good.

Anonymous said...

I'm new to this community and wanted to participate with a comment as well. I was traveling this past week and decided to stop in to watch an afternoon movie. "There will be blood" was a deep dark look into the life of an oil man and the years he spent building his empire. In one particular scene he pourder from his flask a healthy amount of wisky into his childs milk just before tucking him into bed. It seemed to me this was a nightly ritual when he himself as a single father needed some alone time. A simple, yet all too often unused solution to an alternative babysitter. Watching your taste test I did notice something lacking...traditionally we Koreans yell "KOMBE'...." or "One Shot" when a beverage is swollowed in one gulp. Happy tasting....

Strap said...

i completely forgot to give a big Kombe...the one-shot was totally unplanned, but there's something about those little Hite glasses that they always make me Kombe!

Strap said...

keith...lotte is the company that makes the drinks. like a lot of companies, they make a lot of crap in Korea to include fast food, amusement parks, shopping malls, snacks, and an untold # of beverages.

believe you're thinking of the yogurt-based drinks...really milky yogurt.