Saturday, June 30, 2007

Long Rides and Random Thoughts

Did a long group bike ride. Although this was with about 15 guys, and there was some chitchat here and there, my mind tends to wander on rides like these....especially when I'm about 3 miles into a 4 mile climb up Pineapple Hill, at the end of a 50 mile day. My thoughts today turned to the Transformers Movie...I've been excited about this one for awhile, and can't wait to go see it next week. Most of the hype came when I first heard about a "live action" T-formers movie...initial thought is that it would be guys in cardboard boxes colored to look like Optimus Prime. I still think that would be a funny movie, especially if the guys made "transformer noises" as they somehow converted their boxes from robot to vehicle. The thought of the Transformers movie being only 3 days away led my mind further astray...got me thinking about one of the top 5 funniest guys I've ever known. I can't remember the guy's name, as he was just another dude at ROTC field training 12 years ago. Anyway, we had to lead our flight of 30 or so cadets around, barking out marching commands...instead of "Forward March", he insisted on the command "Autobots Roll-out". I remember him getting his ass chewed a couple of times for making a mockery of procedure, but he kept doing it, no matter who was watching. Also, instead of leading us in chants about flying an F-4 in Vietnam, or jumping out of a C-130, he'd lead us in the theme to "Facts of Life" or "Different Strokes". The guy truly didn't care when he got his daily ass-chewing. It was all in the name of humor. I doubt this guy ever actually made it into the Air Force...too bad, as the military sorely needs funny mofos like that guy. At least it gave me something to think about today...to keep the mind off the kind of suffering you feel on a long climb.

No comments: