Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Riding and Racing

Was a busy weekend of riding and racing.

Sunday morning, got up with the boys and rode around base. Took 'em off road for awhile, then stopped for breakfast where they managed to soak their jerseys in pancake syrup and I got a flat tire...had to push the bike 2+ miles while they rode home. Ended up with about 3 hours of riding/eating/pushing.



2 races on Sunday...first was the Tantalus Time Trial. I had only ridden this hill a couple times since last year's time trial. I didn't have high expectations. My time this year was 1 minute faster than last year...was happy about it at the time. However, everyone seemed to be faster, so I was good for 42nd place...out of 80-something riders. Another solid middle-of-the-pack finish.



After the race, Sonya and I took the boys on another ride...decided to try riding off base, so we went from the house to the NEX. Carter and Jack did fine. I go another flat.

In the afternoon, raced in the 4th Momentum Criterium. The weather was sketchy...very windy at the start, started raining during the race. A few guys got away in a break that I missed...was busy trying to do something with my sunglasses. Realized that I needed to catch up with the rather large breakaway group....tried to find someone to work with...it appeared to be every man for himself. After 2 laps, finally caught back on at about the time the group slowed down. A few other riders catch on later...a few dropped out of the race. I was hurting, but managed to hang for the rest of the race, and not fall down on the sometimes slippery course. Noticed Sonya and the boys were braving the elements and cheering me on, so I went off the front for a short while near the end of the race in order to get a good hero shot. Realized that I couldn't make it stick, then fell back in the group to prepare for another solid middle-of-the-pack finish.


Warming up with the boys







My short-lived attempt at a break.



The race series was a lot of fun. In my first 4 crits, I managed to firmly establish myself as a middle-of-the-pack racer and learned a lot about racing. I look forward to the next opportunity to ride around in circles.

No comments: